Thursday, November 5, 2009

Update from Lee and Timna Thursday 11/5/09

Timna Update Wednesday 11/04/2009 10:30ish pm Eastern
I'm home.
Another complication in Timna's condition: Compartment syndrome.
Never heard of it? Neither had I.
The podiatrist was called in to look at the ulcer on her right big toe. He suggests that removal of the toe would be the best option since she had already had a bone of that toe removed and has had a series of blisters turning to ulcers on the remaining toe after that. While he was there I told him about her injuring her left foot in the fall she had while she was sick. He left but came back laterr because something about the left foot was bothering him. He had the nurse remove the bandages and looked at the swelling and the blisters which he lanced and sent the fluid out for culture. What he really suspects is compartment syndrome ( CS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment_syndrome ). This would explain the extreme pain Timna felt even with the weight of a sheet on the leg. CS is, from what I gather, more associated with athletes.
I believe she will have some tests concerning the possibility of CS tomorrow. I have my own test tomorrow which was postponed from last week: a small bowell series. I'll be in radiology which is about 20 feet away from where Timna is, just one floor down. My brother will be with her and able to contact me if my consent is needed for anything.
Now to study for my test.

No comments:

Post a Comment