Thursday, December 3, 2009

Timna Update Thursday 12/3/09

Timna's Update Thursday 12/3/2009 8:15-ish am Eastern
Many of you have written yesterday and last night. I'm sorry I haven't replied individually. Please accept this corporate reply of thanksgiving. You encourage me and give me wisdom in this trying time. Wisdom I wish... I wish I had never needed. Thank you.
Timna's temperature has come down enough overnight that they have removed the cooling blanket but the machine still sits there in readiness. Her temp at last taking was 38.4c 101.1f.
Her blood pressure, while up in an acceptable range, is being supported by medication. She is breathing evenly without fighting against the respirator like she was yesterday. I pray that that is not because she just wore herself out fighting it.
The ICU staff are trying to schedule things so that she won't have to make separate trips out of her room for the CAT scan and surgery but instead have the CAT scan read with surgery on immediate standby. I don't have any times yet. Another dialysis is also ordered for today which may be performed prior to the above since dialysis would be beneficial in reducing the fluid buildups and the fever.
I hope I find out before things happen this time. I suppose that if they were great communicators they would be in politics or journalism instead of medicine.
I will try to update all the prayer forces as soon as I find things out.

Timna's Update Thursday 12/3/2009 10:45-ish am Eastern
I've been given the schedule after 3 1/2 hours of waiting. The CAT scan I was led to believe would be early morning is scheduled for 5pm. This will coincide with surgery availability. Timna will get dialysis some time prior to that.
The cooling blanket has been restarted. Her temperature rose.
The temperature of the body is regulated by neural feedback mechanisms which operate primarily through the hypothalmus. The hypothalmus contains not only the control mechanisms, but also the key temperature sensors. - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heatreg.html
If Timna has edemal pressure on the hypothalamus it is essentially short circuiting the temperature controls.
Today's nurse is tight lipped so obtaining any information requires excessive effort.
I will try to nap a bit today as we wait.

From Twitter today:
Going to gown and glove. (Maybe sneak a kiss when the nurse isn't looking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment