Friday, December 4, 2009

Timna Updates Friday 12/04/09 from P337

Timna's Update Friday 12/4/2009 9:00-ish am Eastern
Timna is in a battle. She did not get the surgery yesterday due to increased swelling of her brain (cerebral edema). Her CAT scan did not show any of the lobe definition that was present in her previous scans. The doctor's reported to her parents and me that there was a good chance she would not make it. She will be rescanned today.
I was devastated.
I asked the doctors to think if there was anything else that could be done to (a.) reverse the edema progression and (b.) control the peritonitis until she was strong enough for surgery.
Dr. Semechek (sp?) said he was doing everything he knew to reduce the swelling and would consult with Dr. Margolis to see if any dialysis changes would help more than what was being done now. Dr. Gordon said he was hitting Timna with broad range antibiotics as well as targeted antibiotics for known pathogens.

I did what I could to let everyone that prayer was needed. I'm sorry I was unable to go into detail last night. (Which was Thursday, by the way, just in case you were confused by my lack of calendar acuity.)
This morning, three times Timna roused only slightly when I held her hand and spoke to her. Just enough for me to see her breathing rate increase, her eyes move under her eyelids and for her mouth to close. She quickly went back to a deeper sleep each time.
I restarted the music for her to listen to.
My cousin e-mailed me and encouraged me this morning by her words of encouragement and by inadvertently making me think on a saying by George Eliot.
"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other" -- George Eliot
I disagree with George Eliot.
I would rephrase him by saying:
"What do we live for, if it is not to love God and to love one another as God loves us."
Due to this experience I have a fresh view of love from God and from so many who have supported me.
Please pray with me not only for Timna but for Ken who is in a similar status here and for an elderly woman named Iran. The families of Ken and Iran have been together with me in encouraging one another and praying for our loved ones.
Again: God can do what no doctor ever can.


Timna Update Friday 12/4/2009 3:45-ish pm Eastern
Timna went down to have another CAT scan this morning and they told me the swelling of the brain was no better or worse than it was yesterday.
She is now getting dialysis.
The doctors met with me and her parents. After an introduction of a few consultants we had not met a letter from a person of concern was mentioned. I guess that is why the Administrative director of Patient Services was involved. (I know who sent the letter but he or she may not want to be known.) Well after an almost defensive summary the neurologist said there is no hope of Timna being the same person if she survives at all. She may not have meant to sound like a 'pull the plug and move on' doomsayer but that was the sense I got.
I was already devastated yesterday so today I handled myself a little more stoically. Just a little.
Basically all the medical team there agreed with her diagnosis, but not with the same callousness. So there doesn't seem to be a medical solution for Timna. They will do all they can to prevent cerebral hemorrhage and to get the swelling to go down if possible but the general consensus was that the Timna I know and love would not be there.
The doctors will not give up but they feel they are fighting a losing battle.
My faith extends beyond medicine.
Way beyond!

It's hard when every brainstorm results in a power failure.
- Lee Peterman

No comments:

Post a Comment